**BREAKING** Guru from Gangstarr suffers cardiac arrest and is currently in surgery

Posted by Hustle Simmons / Category:

Photobucket
My man "Lew" just brought to my attention that Guru was possibly dead due to a heart attack, and my sis clarified that he was in surgery, so I went and looked up what was going on, and sure enough, he had had a "cardiac episode" and was in a coma/pending surgery. I had to write something about him here, as Gangstarr (for any of us hip-hop heads over 35) was an influential hip-hip duo in the late 80's/early 90's. Guru's distinctive monotone delivery combined with DJ Premier's jazz-fueled, breakbeat heavy beats (unheard of at that time, as everyone was sampling James Brown and P-Funk and using 808's, he was using the SP-12), and top that off with his messages of peace and spreading knowledge, Gangstarr was one of the pioneering innovators of their time, simply one of my most favorite groups ever.

Their song "Manifest" is what made me the producer I am today... I remember the first time I heard this, me and my brother cut school and was over a friends house watchin Yo! MTV Raps and out of the blue, THIS song comes on.... I had my ear to the TV trying to hear the samples Primo was using, I couldn't believe beats could sound like this...(Tribe Called Quest had the same impression on me) after a long journey of trying to find what he used, I finally found out it was a combination of Charlie Parker's version of "Night In Tunesia" and James Brown's "Bring It Up Hipster's Avenue"...this is in my DNA....He is definitely a legend!!! That bassline in the beginning still give me chills..I believe "Royalty" was their crowning achievement, I think that's when they reached their potential. Of course, "Mass Appeal", "Ex Girl to the Next", were solid, undeniable, classics as well...this is my way of sending good energy your way Guru...Gifted.Unlimited.Rhymes.Universal

Here's some of their gems throughout the years...my prayers are with you G, may God give you comfort and peace during this time of difficulty.

TAKE IT PERSONAL - Primo is a fool for this beat, Guru as usual, merks it

ROYALTY - This is when Gangstarr was on all cylinders...

MANIFEST - This beat inspired me so much...it was so different when it came out...

MASS APPEAL - No background, hooks, naked chic, just pure hip-hop..beats & rhymes..

EX GIRL TO THE NEXT - This is why these ho ass record companies are goin broke! THIS is real Hip-Hop...nobody got shot, no drugs were sold, and no cuss words..

DWYCK - What a party record-club banger USED to sound like...


Get well bro...we still need ya here!! GANGSTARR!!

JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment